Job title: R&D Engr/Scientist II
Job description: Innovate to solve the world’s most important challenges
Job Title: R&D Engineer/Scientist: Healthcare Packaging (LPI)
Position Purpose /Summary
Honeywell Healthcare and Packaging (HC&P) produces a range of plastic films used to protect food, healthcare and industrial products and photovoltaic substrates. In addition, LPI produces high-purity solvents & reagents, sterilizing agents, and metered-dose inhalants used in medical, pharmaceutical, and research. The Healthcare Packaging Business Team is responsible for growing the pharmaceutical and medical packaging markets for Honeywell. Honeywell’s Aclar® film products are widely used today in pharmaceutical push-through packaging (blister packs).
Honeywell is aggressively driving growth of Aclar® in the pharmaceutical industry globally. The position will be part of the Technical Sales & Service Team which is technical role and will be responsible for providing technical support to new product development, new product introductions to customers, sales pipelines, training, and development expertise in support of Aclar® & fluoropolymer resin converters, contract packagers, Pharmaceutical end users, molders and machinery manufacturers. In addition, the position will collaborate with the Honeywell Advanced materials Discovery, Applications Development, Sales, Marketing and Operations teams to facilitate implementation of Honeywell’s marketing initiatives, customer support and new product introductions. The role will also have shared account development responsibility for segments within the pharmaceutical market.
The successful candidate will facilitate the execution of the healthcare packaging projects, business strategy in the region and ensure that Aclar® and related products deliver on its excellent value proposition relative to competitive products. Working with a variety of cross-functional teams, this position will play a pivotal role in shaping technical sales, services, and initiatives in the region. This position will be based out of Honeywell India Technology Center, Gurgaon.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Provide lab support to global and regional NPD/SPL projects on life sciences (HC&P)
- Polymer development support to pharmaceutical and other CPG segments for packaging development and operations teams for fluoropolymer resins and Aclar® film thermoform design, development and manufacturing applications.
- Provide technical support to OEM of packaging machinery, tooling, contract manufacturers, converters, molders and Pharma end user companies to ensure that optimum performance is achieved from Aclar® laminates, resins and related products.
- Support customer development through the deployment of the technical tools and services provided by Honeywell. Collaborate with end users to facilitate the following processes: package concept development, material selection, package characterization, tooling/equipment design and commercialization.
- Participate on cross functional teams to develop new products which will allow Honeywell to further expand its presence in new market spaces as well as new application development for fluoropolymer applications.
- Guide the material characterization selection process through the use of Material Testing, Barrier Prediction, Design Verification and Weight Change Analysis. Deploy analytical testing skills to oversee internal testing and guide customer testing requirements and data generation.
- Apply business knowledge to drive Honeywell marketing initiatives to provide training on Total Cost and Value calculators to facilitate overall cost savings in support of increased Aclar® and resin adoption rates.
- Develop an in depth understanding of customer needs and apply Best Practices Training to facilitate actionable plans for machinery and tooling development.
- Function as Subject Matter Expert (SME) and represent Honeywell P&C at industry trade shows, technical seminars, luncheons, workshops, etc.
- Travel as needed to provide educational and technical support for customer meetings, line trials, stability trials, FAT/SAT, validation, commercial startups and trouble shooting.
- Proactively communicate project status / customer developments in a timely manner; facilitate Teamwork among other technology experts, access and utilize global technical knowledge base.
- Routinely contact machinery manufacturers (OEM) and converters to obtain input regarding business opportunities and key issues.
- Oversea and / or execute design of development studies / protocols, data review and technical reports generated as a result of application development, technical service activities and provides recommendations which are supported by this analysis.
- Solicit and Communicate Voice of the Consumer (VOC) feedback from customers to P&C business and technology teams. Seek opportunities for new product platforms to create growth opportunities.
Additional Responsibilities to be performed in conjunction with laboratory staff as needed
- Present formally to customer technical and leadership teams with attention paid to appropriate level of professional detail and technical sophistication.
- Drafting and or transposing of SOP’s to support laboratory practices
- Drafting test methods & supporting mathematical calculations
- Management of annual calibration schedules & contracts with specific equipment suppliers.
- Conducting physical, gravimetric and chemical testing of packaging materials & formats as directed by professional team members.
- Attention to detail with meticulous analytical skills with a major focus on data integrity and consistency.
- Work extremely closely with HON Global TS&S / Application Development Team to understand testing requirements, clarify details / discrepancies, confirm test expectation / desired results as submitted from multiple regions to support end user applications.
- Analysis, interpretation and reporting of data and associated results
- Designing and performing laboratory experiments
- Conducting Statistical Analysis of Scientific Methods-R&R, DOE, SPC
- Test Method Development & Validation
- Operating thermoform machinery to conduct thermoforming experiments on state of the art thermoforming equipment.
- Ability to understand technical engineering drawings to support mold / tooling development for thermoforming change parts.
- Ability to understand processing parameters and their relationship to forming characteristics
- Technical report / memo writing and authoring other related technical literature as needed.
- The ability to think independently and present alternate points of view in a logical and effective manner is desired.
- Prior experience with some or all of the following testing equipment and procedures is a plus: MOCON / OXTRAN, Vapor Pro, Oxy Sense, Desiccant Studies, Barrier Analysis, Instron Testing, mechanical / physical testing, shelf life testing / modeling.
- Ability to maintain high energy level and present a professional appearance is a must
- Job may involve lifting boxes and rolls of material of up to 40 pounds with periods of standing while conducting experiments.
Qualifications/ Experience/ Knowledge
The successful candidate will be an effective communicator with the ability to establish trust and credibility quickly at both a managerial level and a shop floor level. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of four (4) years direct technical experience in packaging development of thermoform multi-layer laminate barrier applications, blow molding, injection molding as well as knowledge of the regulatory process for pharmaceutical, cosmetic and consumer packaging. Experience in technical lab role involving interaction with external stakeholders is strongly desired.
Additionally, the candidate must have demonstrated experience as follows:
- Experience designing, developing and managing testing methodologies and plans to support shelf-life experiments, barrier analysis and permeation characteristics of multiple packaging formats used to contain solid oral dose, oral and topical liquids, topical powders, sterile and other related formats. Knowledge of stability testing, Assays, Barrier Testing (MOCON / OXTRAN) and other related barrier and package test methods is essential.
- Hands-on development experience with multiple materials and molding processes combined with demonstrated trouble shooting skills with proven ability to diagnose customer needs/pain points and apply “problem solving” skills to identify root cause and corrective action plans.
- Knowledge of Solid Works Design; A demonstrated portfolio reflecting systematic design thinking and distillation of ambiguous criteria into real world solutions, ability to create working 3D animations to demonstrate functional component performance and other technical simulations for customer presentations and internal training tools would be beneficial.
- Cross functional leadership with an emphasis on interfacing with all levels of Marketing, R&D, Engineering, Regulatory, Purchasing, Analytical and Global Manufacturing.
- Familiarity with Regulatory requirements impacting the package design and selection in pharmaceutical products and other CPG regulations, USP, EMEA, GMP’s and QBD principals.
- Excellent communication skills combined with the ability to cultivate and develop trusting relationships and maintain professionalism in the face of conflict.
- Working knowledge of the Regulatory environment and submission guidelines for new drug product registration process including ICH stability guidelines.
- Knowledgeable experience with related pharmaceutical processes such as solid dose, liquids, powders, sterile and non-sterile packaging.
- Ability to apply statistical analysis to evaluate data: MiniTab for data analysis, Statistical Process Control (SPC).
- Travel approximately 30% of the time within in North America with some periodic travel to other global regions may also be required.
Minimum of a BE/BTech/BS in Chemical, Polymer or Packaging Science, Packaging Engineering, pharma/food packaging films, polymer bottles or related field with at least four (4) years in package development of multiple packaging formats and materials for rigid, semi-rigid and flexible formats with advanced experience in design, development and testing of thermoforming, Injection Molding, Blow Molding and Testing from multiple market segments including pharmaceutical, cosmetic, OTC’s, Consumer Products industries.
· An advanced degree is considered ideal, preferably M. Tech (Master of Technology)
· Highly motivated team player with an entrepreneurial mindset and strong desire to succeed.
· Ability to communicate concisely with persuasion and confidence
· Ability to lead and influence direct and indirect reporting relationship.
· Strong organizational and self-organization skills
· Proficient understanding of business dynamics for the region, key economic drivers and consumer behaviors.
· Strong analytical package testing skills, data interpretation and reporting.
· Sound scientific and business judgment and ethical decision making.
· Capable of handling multiple projects with varying degrees of complexity.
· Ability to think on your feet and maintain a high level of situational awareness.
- Category: Engineering
- Location: Sector 36,Pace City II, Gurgaon, HARYANA 122004 IND
Early Career (ALL)
Location: Gurgaon, Haryana
Job date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 23:10:08 GMT
Apply for the job now!