Job title: Principal Data Scientist – Bangalore, KA
Company: UnitedHealth Group
Job description: Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that’s improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn’t about another gadget, it’s about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There’s no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
At OptumLabs, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We accomplish this by working at the intersection of healthcare and technology, striving to create the most effective, affordable, equitable, and engaging health care solutions for patients, payers, and providers. When you bring your talents to OptumLabs-the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group (UHG)-your contributions will change the lives of millions of people.
OptumLabs is a diverse and curious team with the highest level of expertise in engineering, cloud systems, product development, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), scientific research, and clinical practices. We partner with global thought leaders across a range of disciplines to build disruptive solutions and innovative products that change the way healthcare is accessed and delivered. For decades, UHG has been a global leader in the healthcare industry, meaning that we have access to the most robust healthcare datasets on the planet. Today, UHG is well positioned to be the leader in applying AI and ML capabilities to solve the most complex problems in health care.
OptumLabs’ engineering team works to develop a Data, Analytics, and Machine Learning platform that unifies available data, expands UHG’s data portfolio, and provides a common infrastructure that allows AI/ML practitioners to expedite the development of AI-enabled products. We strive to ensure that data is of high quality and meets all security and compliance requirements. We develop platform capabilities that are reusable and scalable across the enterprise. These capabilities accelerate our enterprise strategy, while providing computing services that allow UHG to develop and deploy AI and ML products that impact millions of lives each day.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at Optum Labs, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. Connected Communities are UnitedHealth Group’s enterprise-wide employee resource groups (ERG) and are a key component of our inclusion and diversity strategy that helps our employees be part of 8 different communities. UnitedHealth Group supports local, regional and national organizations throughout the year. We fortify the efforts of a wide range of organizations that share our commitment to inclusion and diversity, through joint development of initiatives, event and program participation, volunteerism and giving. Our culture of inclusion is reinforced within our Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe that striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
OptumLabs is looking for a Principal Machine Learning Scientist with deep subject matter expertise in image processing, NLU and SLU (Natural language understanding and Spoken Language Understanding) who will lead the technical development and inventions that allow Optum machine learning products drive positive impact in the healthcare business.
Your expertise will bring business and industry context to science and technology decisions. As part of the team, you set the standard for scientific excellence and make decisions that affect the way we build and integrate algorithms. Your code, designs and documents are exemplary and are used as references across the organization.
A successful candidate is a hands-on applied scientist expert that will tackle intrinsically hard problems, acquiring expertise as needed. The candidate will help decompose complex problems into straightforward solutions. You will be scrutinizing and reviewing experimental design, modeling, and other research procedures, as well as, probing assumptions, illuminating pitfalls, and fostering shared understanding.
- Help design and develop the next generation of NLP, ML & AI products, and services for healthcare
- Develop machine learning and deep learning models and systems in domains including, but not limited to: image processing, NLP, NLU, NLG, SLU and multidimensional time series forecasting among others
- Manage NLP & ML models lifecycle for a suite of products
- Run large complex proof-of-concepts for the healthcare business
- Manage prioritization and technology work for building NLP, ML & AI solutions
- Lead the full end-to-end machine learning development process including data ingestion and preparation, feature engineering, analysis and modeling, model deployment, performance tracking and documentation
- Establish best practices for end-to-end deep learning and machine learning development cycle to ensure rigor in process and quality in outcome
- Work with a great deal of autonomy to find solutions to complex problems
- Comply with the terms and conditions of the employment contract, company policies and procedures, and any and all directives (such as, but not limited to, transfer and/or re-assignment to different work locations, change in teams and/or work shifts, policies in regards to flexibility of work benefits and/or work environment, alternative work arrangements, and other decisions that may arise due to the changing business environment). The Company may adopt, vary or rescind these policies and directives in its absolute discretion and without any limitation (implied or otherwise) on its ability to do so
- 10+ years of industry/academic experience in data science, machine learning or a related field
- 3+ years of experience with Machine Learning and Deep Learning modeling
- 2+ years of experience with Deep Learning Frameworks and Distributed training
- 5+ years of experience applying computational algorithms and statistical methods to both structured and unstructured data
- MSc in Computer Science, Statistics, Electrical Engineering, or another quantitative field
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills
- Experience in the health care industry
- Thought leader in machine learning and NLP, sought after for key tech decisions. Can successfully sell ideas to an executive-level decision maker
- Strong publication record in top-tier ML and NLP conferences (e.g. NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, ACL, EMNLP, etc.
- Mentors and trains scientists on complex technical issues
- Significant experience in deploying scalable solutions to complex problems, from defining the problem, implementing the solution, and launching the new product successfully
Careers with Optum. Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka
Job date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:48:55 GMT
Apply for the job now!