Job title: Research Assistant
Job description: The Public Health Foundation of India (PHFI) is working towards building a healthier India. It is helping to address the limited institutional and systems capacity in India by strengthening education and training, advancing research and technology and facilitating policy and practice in the area of Public Health. PHFI is headquartered in New Delhi with national presence through its constituent units of regional Indian Institutes of Public Health (IIPHs) and Centers of Applied Research in core public health themes. The Foundation, established in 2006 as a public private initiative, is governed by an independent board comprising of senior government officials, eminent Indian and International academic and leaders, civil society representatives and corporate leaders.
Encouraging the use of public transport is one of the most important interventions aimed at reducing vehicular congestion and resultant air pollution. Governments across the world have heavily invested in the development of public transport systems and have looked for means of engaging with citizens to encourage the use of public transport.
The current study aims at assessing the willingness of the residents of Delhi to stop using their private vehicles and shift to public transport. The study will also assess the current attitudes and perceptions towards the current public transport system. The study will use a contingent valuation method (CVM) to determine the willingness to pay of private vehicle users to continue using their vehicles for their daily office commute. CVM has been widely used to assess impacts of environmental sustainability and to value air quality improvements including to value health impacts of air pollution. A similar study in Malaysia lead to important policy interventions.
Apart from providing information on perceptions and attitudes of commuters towards the current public transport system, the study will provide information on the economic value placed by commuters on private transportation and provide an estimate of the welfare gain associated with it. It will also provide information on the possibility of new interventions such as imposing additional fees/taxes on private vehicle use to encourage the use of public transport as well as indicate the optimum amount of such taxes/fees that will discourage the use of private vehicles. This is especially important in the Delhi National Capital Region given the huge amount of investments in the Delhi Metro and the feeder transport services across the city and suburbs.
- Finalise tools and undertake data collection
- Help in completion of data analysis
- Report writing in consultation with the PI
- Develop manuscripts based on the research and prepare for publication
- Prepare and deliver presentations of the study in conferences/meetings as necessary.
- Contribute to teaching/training activities as necessary.
- Liase with local level bodies to plan and facilitate data collection and other agencies as necessary
- Liase with other departments of IIPHD and PHFI as necessary.
- Travel as per need of the project
- Any other related tasks as assigned by the PI
- Relevant Masters level qualification in Public Health
- Specific courses undertaken in economic evaluation/contingent valuation
- Specific courses undertaken in systematic reviews
- Qualification in health economics
- Qualification in research methods, especially quantitative methods
- Experience in primary research
- Experience in data analysis
- Experience in scientific writing
Process to Apply
Please note that Annual Salary (CTC) will commensurate with available skills and fitment of the incumbent as per the selection process.
Interested and eligible candidates may send their updated CV to (CV file- pdf or word, should be named in the format name_surname) and fill the application form- . Please mention the exact Position Code (IIPHD_ RA/1007) in the email subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview.
Last Date of Receipt of Applications: 24 July 2022
- Candidates are requested to refer PHFI website for position description & process for applying. Please note only those applications will be considered which are received as per instruction written on PHFI website.
- Candidates should have an excellent academic record, good communication skills, a commitment to high quality graduate / post-graduate education.
- Mere eligibility will not entitle any candidate for being called for interview.
- Persons employed in Government/Semi-Government Organization or Educational Institutions in India must apply through proper channel.
- PHFI reserves the right to fill or not to fill any or all available positions.
- The requirements of minimum qualification and/or experience may be relaxed in the case of candidates with outstanding credentials.
- No correspondence will be entertained from candidates regarding any delays, conduct & result of interview and reasons for not being called for interview.
“PHFI reserves the sole right to alter/modify/cancel the entire selection process or the position or the vacancy or to disqualify any candidature at any stage of the selection process”.
Women are encouraged to apply!
Location: Gurugram (Haryana)
Category: Research and Technical support
Duration of Position: 1 year (further extendable)
Number of Positions: 3
Last Date: July 24, 2022
Donate to a Healthier India : Collective effort is required to address the public health challenges we face today. Partner with PHFI and support initiatives to strengthen public health initiatives in India.
If you are looking for something specific and unable to find it; please email
WORKING TOWARDS A HEALTHIER INDIA
PHFI is helping to build institutional and systems capacity in India for strengthening education, training, research and policy development in the area of Public Health.
Location: Gurgaon, Haryana
Job date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 00:02:36 GMT
Apply for the job now!