Job title: Programme Specialist (Social and Human Sciences)
Job description: OVERVIEW
Post Number : 4INSHS0004RP
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Social and Human Sciences Sector (SHS)
Duty Station: New Delhi
Job Family: Social and Human Sciences
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 12-MAY-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Social and Human Sciences (ADG/SHS), and the direct supervision of the Director, UNESCO New Delhi office, the incumbent will work within the frameworks of UNESCO’s Medium-Term Strategy, the approved Programme and Budget (C/5) and global 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. S/he shall supervise staff within the team and deliver on the Social and Human Sciences (SHS) Programme to ensure effective design, implementation and coordination of activities carried out under Major Programme III Social and Human Sciences in the countries covered by the Office. S/he is also responsible for building partnerships, ensuring fund-raising, and contributing to the Delivering as One exercise in the field of SHS in the countries covered by the Office. In particular, the incumbent shall:
Programme and Project Work:
- Contribute to the overall delivery of the Office’s programme objectives and inter-sectoral working modalities.
- Facilitate coordination of the SHS programme by providing guidance to the national offices, antennas, and focal points of the cluster countries, in the planning and development of programmes, projects, and activities of the SHS Sector.
- Implement, monitor, evaluate, and report on programme activities included in C/5 and projects.
- Creation and dissemination of publications and Toolkits.
- Increase the relevance and the impact of SHS programmes on the ground, including the flagships : Recommendation on the Ethics of AI and the ethics of Neurosciences; Youth in general, and youth as researchers: MOST and the inclusive policy Lab; Fit for Life and anti-doping in sports: Anti-racism and anti-discrimination; gender stereotypes and transforming MENtalities; Art Lab and Intercultural Dialogue, and the inclusion of people with disabilities.
- Engage actively in United Nations (UN) inter-agency working groups and other cooperative mechanisms, as well as, in cooperation with key non-UN partners.
- Organize consultations within the Cluster countries, provide advice and guidance to Governments, Civil Society organizations, and the private sector on the development of strategies, and policies, in the area of Social and Human Sciences.
Advice and Knowledge Management:
- Ensure technical backstopping for projects and events and provide technical support to colleagues as related to assignments and priorities.
- Maintain awareness of developments and advancements in areas of responsibility to advise governments, ministries and colleagues on policy formulation, project development, resources, and best practices.
- Ensure regular contributions to web and printed content and dissemination to colleagues and stakeholders.
Networking and Partnerships:
- Build, maintain, and enhance working relations with concerned national/local authorities, relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to discuss developments, exchange ideas.
- Attend and participate in meetings, conferences, workshops, and seminars, promote knowledge sharing, contribute to advocacy efforts, and endorse approaches and interventions of proven effectiveness.
- Create synergies between needs on the ground and what UNESCO and SHS can offer. Follow up on the cooperation with the G20 Presidency of India, as relates to SHS Programme.
- Contribute to resource mobilization by playing an active role in identifying, designing, and implementing Extra-budgetary projects to reinforce Regular Programme and mobilization of resources and partnerships, including, civil society organizations and private sector.
- Ensure support to events, key initiatives and conferences either hosted by the Office or requiring Office presence.
- Coordinate and/or prepare reports, notes, memoranda, briefings and other correspondence and documents, including news articles and social media contributions.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the .
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of Social and Human Sciences, Political Science, International Relations, or a related discipline.
- Minimum 4 years of progressive relevant professional experience in the area of social and human sciences or development cooperation in a related field, at national and/or international level.
- Proven experience in implementing programmes/projects and demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following thematic areas: the ethics of artificial intelligence and the ethics of science and technology, inequalities, social inclusion, intercultural dialogue, youth and sports.
Skills and Competencies
- Good analytical, organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of results-based management.
- Capacity to build and maintain effective working relations with national/local authorities, relevant institutions, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Proven ability to communicate and negotiate effectively and persuasively (orally and in writing) with various stakeholders at all levels, within and outside the organization.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining professional networks.
- Experience in fund-raising and other resource mobilization mechanisms and build partnerships.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Solid IT skills including knowledge of office software.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- At least 2 years of professional experience at international level, in the UN system or in international development cooperation.
- Research and analysis in the fields relevant to the post as demonstrated through authored peer-reviewed publications.
Skills and Competencies
- Good knowledge of UNESCO’s work, and familiarity with SHS Sector activities.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations System.
- Knowledge of the geopolitical context of the region.
- Working knowledge of French.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States ( ) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Location: New Delhi
Job date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 22:15:41 GMT
Apply for the job now!